Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Ready to take your design outside?


Spring has finally sprung...I think!

I don't know about you, but for me these past few days with bright sunshine and warmer temperatures in New Hampshire have surely put a spring in my step and lifted my mood. With only a few patches of snow left to melt in my yard, I am inspired to begin designing outside!
I like to think of the outdoor spaces in my yard as an extension of my home. Here in New Hampshire, our season is pretty short so I like to be sure to make my space functional and pretty.

 However, there are so many things to consider before you head down the path (no pun intended!) to landscape design! Before I even meet with clients to discuss outdoor spaces, I ask that they do the following:
  • Make a list of needs and wants. This is important to really think about. Do your children need a place to play? Perhaps they'd enjoy a fairy garden like the one I created here?

  • If you have a dog, you may want to consider a special area just for your pet!




  • Are you thinking of having a vegetable garden? Would you like a patio or a porch? Also think about where the sun is during different parts of the day and when you are likely to be using the patio or porch. You don't want for it to be blazing hot every time you head outside, otherwise it won't get used.

  • Consider the direction of the sun and wind. Before you decide to construct a fire pit, you best know which way the wind comes from, otherwise you'll be left with a whole lot of smoke and not a lot of fire!

  • It's also a good idea to write down the types of plants and trees you love, or even the ones you don't want to see in your yard.  Are there certain colors you like, or a certain feel that you want your yard to evoke?
Today we have so many wonderful choices in indoor/outdoor rugs, furniture and accessories. It's no longer just wicker or plastic. I love to create a space that will really get used. Whether it's to host a cookout on the porch or relax on the patio there are many ways to design.

So while the sun is shining on us think about how you want to use your yard and begin creating an inviting space for the outdoor space that surrounds you. Believe it or not, designers and landscapers begin to get booked out several months this time of year. So if you are hoping to share margaritas on your deck with friends for Memorial Day, you better get planning!

May the warm sun rays shine down on you today and every day!

Renee



No comments:

Post a Comment