Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Color combos that are safe but not boring


I can honestly say, the most common interior design question I get from clients, friends, family (even strangers in the paint store!) is how to choose paint colors. No surprise here, but I am a visual person, so I thought I'd share some of the color schemes I have used recently. Hopefully it provides you with a bit of inspiration!  
Sherwin Williams Scandia, Indigo, Cosmos & Icelandic
I used these colors in a recent cottage by the beach that I designed. Since the cottage is rather small (less than 700 sq. ft.), I decided to use a monochromatic theme and then give each room a hit of color from the "other side". What do I mean by "the other side"? Well, I'm talking about the other side of the color wheel! Colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel are considered complementary colors. I love to use this treatment in a room when I really want something to stand out. The high contrast of colors creates a vibrant look, which I think fills a room with great energy! For this cottage, I chose orange to be my complementary color and I could not have been more pleased. Take a look at how wonderfully the blues & oranges play together!

I used the same technique in another home I designed. This time I used very neutral browns with a hit of red. This suited my client well because they were able to take a few chances with the brightly colored accessories, but could also change them up quite easily and guilt free!

Sherwin Williams Craft Paper, Believable Buff, & Cardboard

Sherwin Williams Paint
Of course, you can't go wrong with these colors either. It's a great color combination for staging your home. A touch of color without going too crazy! The colors I chose were all +Sherwin Williams paint; Copen Blue, Agreeable Grey, Toque White, Calico and Warm Stone. The paint color names alone sound soothing and peaceful!
And finally, here's a sneak peak at the colors I am using in a home by the beach. Once again, I stay somewhat "safe" with the paint color choice and then had fun with some wallpaper and fabric. The colors here are +California Paints in Steamy Spring, +Benjamin Moore Paints  in Rattan and Soft Glow. Then a used Shore Thing wallpaper and  Thibaut Luzon fabric in Aqua and Coral. Beachy, but not boring!


If you aren't sure where colors fall on the color wheel and which ones may complement each other, I recommend you hop on over to TigerColor.com and see what they have to say. There's a terrific post about color schemes, complete with pictures to help explain it all!



No comments:

Post a Comment