Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Let's head to the islands...kitchen islands!

I can't tell you how much I wish I were headed to the islands right now! Instead, I am here in my cozy office, enduring yet another Nor'easter in NH. And Punxsutawney Phil says we have 6 more weeks of this!! But that's okay, because I am working on designing another kitchen, one of my favorite aspects of this job! Rather than sand in my toes and sunshine on my face, I am taking measurements and making adjustments for a gorgeous kitchen complete with a stylish island!
Found on Pinterest.com

If you have ever thought about a kitchen remodel, then you know there are tons of decisions that you must make before you even get to the fun stuff, like picking out cabinets, tile and lighting! Before I even begin to work on a kitchen, I spend a lot of time with my clients trying to uncover how they use their current kitchen, what they feel it lacks, what are storage needs, dining needs, and the list goes on.

A kitchen is where we gather with our family and guests. It's the heart of the home. And if you are a mom, you know you spend countless hours in the kitchen making snacks, and meals. Doing homework. Maybe even paying bills. So it's important that your kitchen is designed with all of your needs in mind. If you have the space, a kitchen island is a great choice! Perhaps even two!



Garrison Hullinger Interior Design
Do you find that you host a lot of gatherings at your house? If so, then I bet much time is spent in the kitchen. If this sounds like you, here are some things to consider before you start your kitchen island design:
  • Is there enough space for an island? Perhaps you need two!
  • What kind of appliances would you like at your finger tips? Wine fridge, ice maker, or just a small mini-fridge?
  • Do you need an extra sink?
  • Consider worry-free countertop surfaces
  • Don't forget the mood lighting!

Lenova Entertainer Sink


One size does NOT fit all!


Source: www.thisoldhouse.com
We all know that by now, right? So what size island is ideal? For most of my clients, I recommend at least 3 feet wide and 4-7 feet long, depending on the size of the space you are working with. Keep in mind that you will also need about 42" of floor space on the "working" sides of the island so that you can open your dishwasher or fridge, and more importantly, so that you can have more than one person in your workspace at a time!

And what about the height? Well, that depends too. Many homeowners are opting to create a dining area as part of their island design, which is a great use of space. Another popular design is to use two different levels, one for eating and the other for food prep. There are pros and cons to every design, but you can never go wrong with enough leg room! Be sure to factor in 15-18" of overhang for leg room!


Source: Habersham
What's the latest trend in kitchen design? Wine Islands! This has got me swooning with ideas!! I love this idea so much that I have decided to carry this particular line, +Habersham Home  in my studio!

These pieces are beautiful works of art that add so much style to your kitchen! Just imagine the possibilities!


Source: Habersham


Contact me or come visit me in my studio! A lot goes into a kitchen renovation or design. I highly recommend that you call in an expert for this type of project. And where to put all the wine is just one of the many considerations!

Don't forget to check out my Pinterest board Dreamy Islands for more inspiration!

Warmly,

Renee






No comments:

Post a Comment