Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Beam Me Up Scotty!

I feel at home in an old barn!
I love it when, what's old is suddenly new again! It dawned on me recently that I have been incorporating lots of reclaimed wood into my designs these days. I am an advocate for using green materials and for bringing new life to old pieces. This is especially true when it comes to wood. Because reclaimed wood was once live, it has a story to tell from it's previous life before dawning it's skin and becoming something new. I often sense that you can still feel the old energy that wood once had. All of the markings, dents, color variations shows a life already lived. Bringing that extra vibe into the home can work wonders!

The beautiful thing about reclaimed wood is that it's style is so flexible. It doesn't necessarily mean that you live in a barn, or a farmhouse. Or that your style falls into the "country" category. I love the warmth it can bring to a modern design. It adds a uniqueness that you can't buy or get anywhere else. And let's face it....it's timeless. Using reclaimed wood never goes out of style. Very often I find that the juxtaposition of old beams in an updated décor is just what a room needed.

Mandeville Canyon Design






Believe it or not, old wood is actually stronger than new wood. It doesn't split, swell or warp like new wood does.

Using reclaimed wood from old barns, log posts and beams or wherever you may stumble upon, often transforms a room and quietly becomes the focal point. It's a way to connect the past with the present.
Indystar.com

If this mantel could talk, what would it say. The timber mantel is made from salvaged beams from a barn in Sunman, Ind., where Abraham Lincoln once gave a speech. Not to sound like a teenager, but that is so TOTALLY COOL!                      

Mandeville Canyon Design







I just found a beautiful heart pine with a live edge that I am going to use for one of my clients...I loved it so much that I bought extra to use in my house (sorry honey, I did it again!). There are lots of ways you can bring wood into your home. Shelves, beams on the ceiling, use it as a kitchen counter, highlight an accent wall or a fireplace with it.

Lushome.com
 
 
Designsponge.com

 
Lushome.com


A piece of reclaimed wood is as unique as you are! That's why I love to bring such pieces into a home! It gives the house personality without having to say a word.

For lots more inspiration, check out my Pinterest board, Doing Good With Wood.

Warmly,

Renee

 




No comments:

Post a Comment